Saturday, December 26, 2009

Side Dishes/ Rissotto'd Orzo


I am not sure who originated this rule, but it seems to live in the heart of every red-blooded American. Dinner is a rather trinitarian affair, even if you do not believe in Trinitarian theology, or have any sort of theology. What do I mean? Think of the meals you ate growing up. Think about the meals you prepare. Meat, fish, or chicken, with vegetable, and a startch. The starch can be potato, rice, or pasta. Gets pretty boring, doesn't it?


It was in the spirit of doing something different that I created this recipe. I know, I know, orzo is a pasta, and therefore still a starch. I guess I am not ready to totally break with convention just yet. I really like rissotto, but it takes forever to make. You can make this in around fifteen-twenty minutes.


Orzo Risotto


4 Tbsp butter
2 chopped shallots
2 garlic cloves
2 cups orzo pasta
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup water
2 T white wine
1 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon zest
Finely chopped fresh thyme
Finely chopped flat parsley
Parmesan cheese for garnish


Saute shallots and garlic in butter. Add wine, stirring ingredients. Add pasta. Brown pasta in the butter until toasty and lightly browned. Add water while stirring over med-med/high heat. Continue to stir and add water till it is absorbed, continue stirring, adding chicken stock. As stock is absorbed, continue stirring and adding stock. At about the fifteen minute mark, taste the pasta. Pasta should retain some firmness. Add lemon zest, herbs, and cheese.


Serve. Serves 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment